SportsNation Blog Archives David Price
MLB Offseason Questions
The Red Sox may be world champions, but just because you won a World Series doesn't mean you get to stand pat. The team will be facing several big decisions this offseason, including whether or not to keep Jacoby Ellsbury. Their rival Yankees will need to make a big financial commitment to Robinson Cano to keep him, and the Rays might trade David Price before they lose him in free agency. How do you see these offseason moves playing out?
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
David Price's future in Tampa?
David Price has been the Rays' franchise starter for years, but given the team's habit of trading star players before they become unaffordable, he thinks he'll be wearing a different uniform in 2014. Price may make $13 million next season, and despite his Cy Young Award in 2012, the frugal Rays may think it prudent to start up another youth movement. Despite a rough start in the American League Division Series, Price is still one of the best pitchers in the league, but would it be worth keeping him in Tampa?
Max Scherzer has been near perfect through his first 20 starts, notching a 19-1 record and on the brink of becoming the first pitcher since Roger Clemons in 2001 to start the season 20-1. But does Scherzer's record mean he's a better pitcher than the MLB ERA leader Clayton Kershaw? Click the images below to set your rankings!
Baseball's best pitchers
14-5, 2.97 ERA
13-4, 2.79 ERA
12-5, 2.68 ERA
Jorge De La Rosa
Jorge De La Rosa
14-6, 3.28 ERA
10-5, 2.30 ERA
13-3, 2.86 ERA
9-5, 2.27 ERA
12-8, 2.97 ERA
13-8, 1.72 ERA
11-10, 2.89 ERA
11-6, 3.07 ERA
14-6, 2.74 ERA
13-5, 2.99 ERA
8-5, 3.28 ERA
10-12, 2.99 ERA
11-7, 2.61 ERA
19-1, 2.73 ERA
12-10, 3.73 ERA
15-8, 2.96 ERA
15-7, 3.32 ERA
SportsNation Rank, MLB, MLB, Bartolo Colon, Patrick Corbin, Yu Darvish, Jorge De La Rosa, Jose Fernandez, Zack Greinke, Matt Harvey, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw, Hiroki Kuroda, Cliff Lee, Francisco Liriano, Mike Minor, David Price, Chris Sale, Anibal Sanchez, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmermann
Voting for the 2013 ESPYS Awards is open, and today we're debating the best player in baseball from the past year. Miguel Cabrera pulled off the first Triple Crown in quite some time, but some stats have Mike Trout's 2012 season as far above Cabrera's. R.A. Dickey and David Price were nigh unhittable last season, and Buster Posey won NL MVP in the same year he added another World Series trophy to his case. Who gets your vote?
Now that we have a few days to catch our breath before the start of baseball's postseason (and thanks to the Padres for that), what are we to make of the teams still worrying about pitching rotations? Well, for the most part, SportsNation isn't exactly shocked by the playoff field.
Five of the eight active teams were ranked in SportsNation's top 10 on Opening Day, and the Giants were knocking on the door at No. 11. Only the Rangers (No. 16) and Reds (No. 23) really came out of nowhere.
But if either the Rangers or Reds are going to keep surprising, Cliff Lee and Edinson Volquez will likely need to break out their best Don Larsen impersonation. Lee rebounded from a weak August to dominate three of his final four starts, while Volquez missed the first half of the season but gets the first postseason start for the Reds after posting a 1.95 ERA in September. It's the time of year for aces to shine, but which teams have the best arms?
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATSMonday, December 9Wednesday, December 11
Thursday, December 12
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
Friday, December 13
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:30 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
BEST OF THE BEST
Heat vs. Pacers?
Which team has a better shot at making the NBA Finals -- the Heat, or the Pacers? Vote! »ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com