ESPN NY Hall of Fame
Our inaugural class:
Note: Active players are not eligible.
• Video: Panelists debate on Hall candidates
• Ian O'Connor: Where is Patrick Ewing?
• Andrew Marchand: Babe is king of NYC
• Johnette Howard: Make room for LT
• Wallace Matthews: Ballot of Willis and Joe Willie
• Rob Parker: Remember the Islanders
• Mechelle Voepel: Rise of women's hoops
Each team's fab five:
Someone had to replace Joe DiMaggio in center field.
And that someone was a kid from Commerce, Okla., by the name of Mickey Mantle.
Mantle was hyped as the next superstar, and with that hype came great expectations when the Yankees fast-tracked him from the minors. After struggling as a 19-year-old rookie and tearing up his knee in the 1951 World Series, Mantle didn't just meet the expectations -- he exceeded them, becoming the ultimate fan favorite at Yankee ...
Read full story