There was a time when Tiger Woods eclipsing Jack Nicklaus as the greatest golfer of all time seemed inevitable. Then again, there was a time when Blockbuster seemed like a pretty good business model.
A relative unknown on this side of the Atlantic put together a tremendous final round to escape Phil Mickelson and other contenders and win his first career PGA Tour title (Tim Clark, meet Rory McIlroy). And once again, the story was Tiger Woods not playing 18 hole on Sunday. Woods made the cut this time but bowed out of the Players Championship during the final round with an an injury.
Woods is 34 and still needs five more major titles to pass Jack Nicklaus. And even if you think this latest setback won't hurt Woods' on-course performance in the long run, there's the matter of his image when it comes to any debate about the greatest of all time. So when it's all over, who comes out ahead: Tiger or the Golden Bear?
HOW MANY MAJORS WILL TIGER WIN IN 2010?
|Date||No majors||One major||Two majors||Three majors||Four majors|
|Dec. 4||15 pct.||26 pct.||36 pct.||13 pct.||10 pct.|
|Feb. 18||27 pct.||37 pct.||28 pct.||4 pct.||6 pct.|
|March 16||20 pct.||36 pct.||32 pct.||5 pct.||4 pct.|
|April 12||18 pct.||51 pct.||26 pct.||6 pct.||NA|
|May 10||37 pct.||43 pct.||18 pct.||2 pct.||NA|
Brian (Westborough, MA)
Arnold won his last major when he was 35, Watson when he was 34 (for now). Are we taking it for granted that Tiger will be more like Trevino, Snead and Nicklaus and win majors until he's in his 40s? Even some of the greatest ever stop winning majors at the age Tiger is at now.
Brian, I think we are taking it for granted. Even Nicklaus won a very small number of his majors after age 35. But remember, Tiger won seven times around the world last year coming off a knee injury. Full transcript
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 12:00 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:30 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Matt Fortuna
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
BEST OF THE BEST
Heat vs. Pacers?
Which team has a better shot at making the NBA Finals -- the Heat, or the Pacers? Vote! »