Did you know that the Boston Red Sox have the fourth-best offense in all of baseball? It's true. You can totally look it up if you don't believe us. That's a pretty good offense! It's just that the pitching is, well ... less than stellar. Only the Minnesota Twins have a higher team ERA, and considering Clay Buchholz is looking to avoid being the only pitcher in history to give up five runs or more in seven consecutive starts tonight, don't look for that ranking to be set in stone. It's officially gotten bad in Boston, as ace pitcher Josh Beckett was booed on Thursday night after bring lifted in the third inning. Is this as bad as it gets for the Red Sox?
Worst of the worst?
It seemed like the Red Sox had everything figured out a few weeks ago, but that was before they lost six straight games at home.
Who's to blame?
The Ben Cherington/Bobby Valentine era in Boston has not gotten off to a great start, but most of these starters were on the Red Sox before those two took over.
Clay Buchholz has a much higher ERA, but Beckett is the ace of the Red Sox franchise and an ostensible leader in the clubhouse.
Just a fluke?
A 5.29 ERA is awfully high for an entire pitching staff. Are the Red Sox just going through a teamwide slump?
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMCowboys with Todd Archer
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMNFL draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 3:00 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy FB