Red clay isn't easy to master. Yet if one of the top three men's seeds wins the 2012 French Open, history will be made. The question is, who will it be?
On the women's side, things aren't clear at all. The top seed is struggling with injuries. No. 2 Maria Sharapova has never reached the final at Roland Garros, and No. 3 Serena Williams last won there in 2002.
Defending champion Rafael Nadal seemingly has the easiest draw as Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer could meet in the semis.
A homegrown champ?
There hasn't been a French men's champion at Roland Garros since Yannick Noah lifted the trophy in 1983. Could Jo-Wilfried Tsonga change that?
Maria Sharapova has shined on clay courts so far this year.
John Isner (above) reached the final at the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championship, while Andy Roddick hasn't gotten out of the quarterfinals of a tournament this year.
Serena Williams (above) won Wimbledon in 2010, then hit a Grand Slam title drought. Roger Federer's last major win was at the 2010 Australian, while Maria Sharapova's last was the 2008 Aussie.
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 11:00 AMNCAA BB with Jeff Goodman
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Todd Archer
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 3:00 PMGolf columnist Bob Harig
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 3:00 PMSeahawks with Blount
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMNFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMBracketologist Joe Lunardi
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 4:00 PMNFL Insider KC Joyner
BEST OF THE BEST
Revis vs. Ware?
Which player has a brighter NFL future: Darrelle Revis, or DeMarcus Ware? Vote! »