We so love the knuckleball. It's simultaneously the dumbest and smartest pitch in baseball -- you've got no idea where it will go when you release it, and it's practically impossible to teach, but it changes the whole game from baseball to kind of a weird hybrid of slow-pitch softball and misery. R.A. Dickey took a while to master his knuckler, but it has paid dividends this season, as he threw his second one-hitter in a row Monday night against the Orioles. Dickey leads all of baseball in wins, ERA and strikeouts, which is totally insane and also really awesome. Has he made himself into a perennial ace, or is this just a temporary run of dominance?
A new ace?
You don't usually come into your own as a pitcher in your mid-30s, but Dickey has had a 2.86 ERA since his age-35 season.
Only 22 men have thrown a perfect game in baseball history, but only 10 have thrown consecutive one-hitters. It's a bit of a fluky accomplishment but still incredibly rare.
Are the Mets for real?
The Mets have been a bit of a joke the past few years, but they've had their share of stellar performances this season.
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMCowboys with Todd Archer
- 12:15 PMUFC president Dana White
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMSeahawks with Blount
- 3:00 PMGolf columnist Bob Harig
- 3:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 2:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 2:00 PMNFL draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Ryan McGee
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy FB