In a move that is great for competitive integrity but terrible for notions of high comedy and farce, the NFL and its officials have come to an agreement that will end the lockout. The regular referees will be back for the games this weekend and will even be able to work Thursday night's Browns-Ravens game. The replacement referees were fun, but the league evidently realized that it was time to bring the real ones back before the players and coaches revolted. We wouldn't be surprised to see a few fans on their feet for the return of Ed Hochuli and the rest of the refs this weekend.
The referees won't have a preseason to get back up to speed. They'll be thrown right back into the thick of things.
Damaging the shield?
The NFL's decision to go with replacement referees was a rare misstep for America's most successful sports league.
We all saw what replacement officials did to football, but would it be particularly worse in baseball or basketball?
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMCowboys with Todd Archer
- 12:15 PMUFC president Dana White
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMSeahawks with Blount
- 3:00 PMGolf columnist Bob Harig
- 3:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PMNFL draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Ryan McGee
- 3:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 4:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 4:00 PMNBA Insider Kevin Pelton