The Doak Walker Award is the only major college football award that requires all candidates to be in good academic standing and on schedule to graduate within one year of other students of the same classification. It recognizes the nation's premier running back for his accomplishments on the field, achievement in the classroom and citizenship in the community. The 2011 recipient of the Doak Walker Award was Alabama's Trent Richardson.
To find out the official winners of college football's major awards, tune into "The Home Depot College Football Awards" show live on ESPN at 7:30 p.m. ET on Dec. 6. Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, Tom Rinaldi and Samantha Steele will host the show, which will originate from the Atlantic Dance Hall on Disney's Boardwalk at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
Statistics as of Monday, Nov. 19.
The Doak Walker Award Nominees
Montee Ball: Wisconsin's All-American running back is having another huge year, rushing for more than 1,400 yards and scoring 17 touchdowns on the ground. Against Ohio State, Ball tied the FBS record for career touchdowns with his 78th and still has a chance to break the record. Ball has seven 100-yard rushing games this season, including a 247-yard effort against Purdue. He's averaging more than 128 yards per game.
Kenjon Barner: Oregon's senior speedster has enjoyed an outstanding year and is closing in on a 1,500-yard rushing season, thanks to his 129.6 yards per game average. Barner has accounted for 20 touchdowns this season and leads the Ducks in scoring with 120 points. Earlier this season, Barner set a school record by rushing for 325 yards against then-No. 18 USC. He is one of the primary reasons for the Ducks' 10-1 record.
Johnathan Franklin: One of the top running backs in the nation, Franklin has already surpassed the 1,500-yard rushing mark this season and is averaging 131.0 rush yards per game. In addition to 10 rushing touchdowns, Franklin has two receiving touchdowns to go along with 26 catches and 290 receiving yards. Earlier this season, Franklin became UCLA's all-time leading rusher (4,110 yards) on a weaving 37-yard touchdown run against Arizona.
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 11:00 AMNCAA BB with Jeff Goodman
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Todd Archer
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 3:00 PMGolf columnist Bob Harig
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 3:00 PMSeahawks with Blount
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMNFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMBracketologist Joe Lunardi
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 4:00 PMNFL Insider KC Joyner
BEST OF THE BEST
Revis vs. Ware?
Which player has a brighter NFL future: Darrelle Revis, or DeMarcus Ware? Vote! »