In last night's game against the Hornets, Kobe Bryant became the youngest player ever to reach 30,000 career points. Perhaps more importantly for the Lakers this season, the game was one that they won handily, a rarity in this season of struggle and dysfunction in Los Angeles. Still, there's a lot to celebrate about Kobe's accomplishment -- he's got a pretty clear path to challenge Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the title of most prolific scorer of all time. The first 30,000 seemed pretty easy -- what about the next 8,000?
Kobe over Kareem?
Bryant is 34 years old and has a ways to go before passing Abdul-Jabbar. That's a tall order, but one thing Bryant has never lacked is competitiveness.
Kobe vs. Magic?
Magic Johnson thinks Kobe will end up as the best Laker that ever played, but Magic might just be being modest, especially considering his skillset.
Is LeBron the next?
LeBron James isn't as much of a pure shooter as Kobe, but he's a mere 10,000 points away with six years to break Kobe's record.
Kobe, Durant, or LeBron?
LeBron and Kevin Durant are both on pace (barring serious injury to either of them) to end up as some of the top scorers of all time.
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PMNFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMNASCAR with Ryan McGee
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 4:00 PMNFL Insider KC Joyner
- 12:00 PMBoxing with Dan Rafael
- 12:00 PMNHL with Pierre LeBrun
- 1:00 PMRichard Durrett on Rangers
- 1:00 PMRams with Nick Wagoner
- 1:00 PMNCAA BB 'Giant Killers'
- 2:00 PMBulls with Nick Friedell
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMBracketologist Joe Lunardi
- 2:15 PMGolf analyst Andy North
- 3:00 PMJaguars with Mike DiRocco
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Kevin Pelton
BEST OF THE BEST
Which fans were better dancers at Tuesday night's Alabama/Kentucky matchup? Vote! »