With spring training about to open, Major League Baseball doesn't have an approved design in place for protective headgear for pitchers. Although officials aren't ruling out such equipment being ready for Opening Day, big questions still surround the effort: Will helmets or padding do enough to protect pitchers from the kind of impact that required emergency brain surgery for Athletics right-hander Brandon McCarthy last fall? And if such equipment is offered, will major league pitchers wear it?
Call to action
Brandon McCarthy's injury off a line drive sent him to the ER and opened up discussions on safety. Are padded caps or helmets for pitchers needed?
Ways to get hurt
Joba Chamberlain was forced out of a playoff game this past fall when part of a broken bat hit him in the shoulder. Are line drives through the box baseball's biggest safety issue?
Is it safe?
The Tigers' Doug Fister was hit in the head by a batted ball in the World Series but stayed in the game. Are pitchers safe enough?
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 11:00 AMNCAA BB with Jeff Goodman
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Todd Archer
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 3:00 PMGolf columnist Bob Harig
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 3:00 PMSeahawks with Blount
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 11:00 AMFantasy MLB's AJ Mass
- 12:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 1:00 PMMLB Insider Keith Law
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMNFL Draft Insider Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on NCAAW
- 2:00 PMBracketologist Joe Lunardi
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky
- 4:00 PMNFL Insider KC Joyner
BEST OF THE BEST
Revis vs. Ware?
Which player has a brighter NFL future: Darrelle Revis, or DeMarcus Ware? Vote! »