DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Top-ranked Novak Djokovic retired during his quarterfinal in the Dubai Tennis Championships with an infection in both eyes on Thursday, ending his global run of 17 consecutive final appearances.
"It's an eye problem," Djokovic, wearing dark sunglasses, said at his postmatch news conference. "I have had it ever since I arrived to Dubai. Started with an infection, and then severe allergy."
Djokovic said the infection started in his right eye but then presented in both eyes. He was instructed not to wear his contact lenses except for during matches because it aggravates the condition.
"It's gotten worse the last two days, unfortunately," he added. "It's the first time that I have had such a problem with the eye. It was ultrasensitive today, the lights, and just wasn't to be."
The retirement ended Djokovic's run of 17 straight finals dating to the 2015 Australian Open. He had won 13 of those finals, including the last seven since the U.S. Open in September. He was one final away from tying Ivan Lendl's Open era record of 18 straight in 1981-82. But he wasn't worried about his streak ending.
"I just hope this problem with the eye will fade away in the next couple of days," he said. "I got a lot of important events waiting for me in the next period. Of course, Davis Cup back home (next week) and Indian Wells, Miami, and of course clay-court season."
The last time Djokovic retired from a match was against Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina in a Davis Cup semifinal in 2011. He's played 350 matches since then for a 312-38 win-loss record.
Playing Feliciano Lopez, Djokovic called for the ATP trainer while trailing 1-2. He kept pointing to his face as he spoke to the trainer but eventually got up to play. However, he quit the match after the Spaniard closed out the first set 6-3.
Kyrgios, who is making his Dubai debut, advanced by beating third-seeded Tomas Berdych 6-4, 6-4 despite having treatment on his back in the first set.
Friday's semifinal will be the first contest between Wawrinka and Kyrgios since their infamous match in Montreal in August, when on-court microphones recorded Kyrgios walking to the net and making a comment about Wawrinka's girlfriend.
Kyrgios subsequently apologized for the comments, which he described as "unacceptable on many levels," and was given a fine and 28-day ban by the ATP. The ban was suspended for six months, and Wednesday marked the end of that period.
The Associated Press and the Press Association contributed to this report.