Take your 2012 tennis quiz
How closely were you following tennis this year? Test your knowledge of the game with our annual holiday quiz. (See below to click on answers.)
A) 6 hours, 53 minutes
B) 5 hours, 53 minutes
C) 4 hours, 53 minutes
D) 4 hours, 43 minutes
A) Novak Djokovic
B) Roger Federer
C) Andy Murray
D) Rafael Nadal
3. The Czechs dominated team competition, winning all of the following events except which one?
A) Davis Cup
B) Fed Cup
C) Hopman Cup
D) World Team Cup
5. The upset of the year on the women's side was Serena Williams' loss against Virginie Razzano in the first round of the French Open. How many previous times had Williams lost in the first round of a Grand Slam?
6. The upset of the year on the men's side was Rafael Nadal's loss to Lukas Rosol in the second round of Wimbledon. When was the last time Nadal lost in the second round of a major?
A) Wimbledon 2005
B) U.S. Open 2006
C) U.S. Open 2007
D) Australian Open 2010
9. The retirement of Kim Clijsters leaves how many active players on the women's tour who have won a Grand Slam singles title?
10. John Isner managed the dubious feat of losing in five sets at every major this year. Which match took the longest?
A) Australian Open, third round against Feliciano Lopez
B) French Open, second round against Paul-Henri Mathieu
C) Wimbledon, first round against Alejandro Falla
D) U.S. Open, third around against Philipp Kohlschreiber
11. Donald Young's dubious feat was recording the longest losing streak of the year, but he didn't quite reach Vince Spadea's ATP record of 22 straight losses. How many consecutive losses did Young have?
12. At Wimbledon, Yaroslava Shvedova became only the second player in recorded professional history to win a Golden Set -- the term for winning a set without losing a point. Who was the first?
14. Serena Williams won the singles gold at the Olympics to become only the second WTA player to win a career Golden Slam. Who was the first?
A) Margaret Court
B) Steffi Graf
C) Martina Navratilova
D) Venus Williams
15. Roger Federer returned to No. 1 and broke Pete Sampras' record for most weeks in the top spot. How many total weeks has Federer been No. 1?
16. The retiring Juan Ignacio Chela made his mark this year by tweeting out his "Top 10 ways to know if you're a WTA player." Which one of the following wasn't included?
A) When your coach comes on court to talk to you, you look the other way.
B) At the end of the match, you wave like Miss Universe, even if you're on Court 27.
C) You never practice with a WTA player.
D) You're good friends with Caroline Wozniacki.
17. The issue of equal prize money at Grand Slams was reopened this season. Who publicly kicked off the discussion?
18. Controversy over pairings for the Indian Olympic team began when which two players were originally named to play together?
19. These players all became fathers this year. Whose daughter was born first?
20. In addition to completing the career Slam at the French Open, Maria Sharapova launched her own candy line. What is it called?
D) Maria Gummies
21. Andy Murray became the first British man since Fred Perry in 1936 to win a Grand Slam singles title, but who became the first British man since 1936 to win the Wimbledon doubles title?
22. After this season, Bob and Mike Bryan can claim all these doubles records, but which is the only one they remain tied for with another team?
A) Most Open-era Grand Slam titles as a team
B) Most Grand Slam titles as a team
C) Career Golden Slam in doubles
D) Most titles as a team
23. Which team finished No. 1 in women's doubles this year?
24. There are 12 players in the WTA top 100 who are 30 or over (with one, Kimiko Date-Krumm, over 40). How many teenagers are there?
25. There are no teenagers in the ATP Top 100. How many are 30 or over?