- Jon Levey
- 0 Shares
If someone is at the top, someone has to be on the bottom. Not only did the performance of this group not earn a spot in our power rankings, it was weak enough to warrant dishonorable mention.
1. USTA: Serbian Davis Cup captain Bogdan Obradovic: That's right, Boise.
Novak Djokovic: Where's that?
Obradovic: Some place called Idaho -- the only U.S. state that borders six other states as well as Canada.
Djokovic: Spare me the crossword puzzle info. What's there to do?
Obradovic: Outside of tennis? From what I gather it's known for trees, college football and potatoes.
2. Jerzy Janowicz: The Polish skyscraper said in a newspaper interview that: "Djokovic is a false one, he just likes to show off and play. Roger Federer instead is full of himself, he has something not natural." That was one burn for each of Janowicz's two ATP match wins so far this season.
3. SAP Open: The last go-round in San Jose for the storied event, which had been held in and around Northern California since 1889. In 2014, the tournament slot trades Sharks games for Carnival with a move to Rio. A random sampling of ATP players found that zero people have a problem with the change in venue.
4. Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova: The 26-year-old Czech player tested positive for the banned stimulant, sibutramine, and will serve a six-month suspension backdated to October 2012. She claimed to have unknowingly ingested the substance while using the weight-loss supplement ACAI Berry Thin. And now you can say you know something about Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova.
5. Sony Open: Arguably the tour's biggest non-Slam lost arguably the game's marquee player as Federer stayed true to his word and declined entry into the Miami tournament. Because Federer has 12-plus years on tour, is 31 and has played 600-plus matches, he's no longer required to play Masters 1000 events. We've always suspected it, but now it's official: The man with the monogram is indeed above the law.
Serena, Victoria and Novak all had memorable starts to the season. But not everyone (or every event) has reasons to smile.